My father bought What Is DNA? A Biology Adventure to read when he finally figured out that both his children were going to study biology...he figured, he doesn't know anything about biology but he wants to have something mentally stimulating to talk to us about, so he'd read up.
We've had no less than four extremely nerdy conversations about biology in the last two days--one about regulation of transcription and translation (in the context of how to prevent and/or deal with mutations to protein-encoding genes), one involving how to use computer code to map amino acids to protein folding, one about the specific function of various cells in the immune system and the real difference between innate and adaptive immunity, and one about the history of evolutionary thought. I swear, only the last one was my fault.
These conversations usually start with my dad prodding my brother for information, progress when I get involved translating between brother and father (and vise versa) because they have a hard time speaking the same language, and end with either A) my brother getting frustrated with my dad's (and my) lack of knowledge on the subject or B) me walking away because my dad has started talking about computer programming which I can't follow, even if he tries to explain...
Sometimes, I'm not surprised my brother and I turned out the way we did...=P
Friday, December 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment