It's great (but really humbling) when God uses advice that you're giving to someone else to nourish your heart. It's such a reminder that the good things that come out of my mouth occasionally aren't the product of my own brilliance, rather they are the Holy Spirit deigning to speak through me.
I was talking to a former student after school today about being stressed out and how she turns to her mom for comfort, but then as soon as she turns back to her work she's stressed out again. I told her that I do the same thing--I look for comfort in this world whether in people, distractions, my work--and that I never really feel comforted until I (finally) turn to the Word of God. Even if the other comforts are pointing me towards God and encouraging me in a godly way, there's something about the Bible that is just more tangible and real--perhaps because it's Gods actual words. You're not just hearing about how good God is, you're reading His words and listening to Him tell you Himself. Yay for primary sources.
Which made me think...I've been so tired and worn out lately--have I been spending enough time with God? Clearly the answer is no. And in hindsight, I can see how assiduously I've tried to find comfort and distraction in friends, family, work, books, and even TV and it's not until today at lunchtime when I closed my door and sat down with my Bible to read John that I felt any kind of peace. Funny, how the most obvious things to me when I hear it from others are so hard to do when it's yourself. It may have also been easier today b/c I slept about 10 hours last night...funny how sleep has so much to do with my ability to reason. Who would have thought? =P
Which brings me to how thankful I am that I work at Valley--I feel like God uses my time here to grow me as much as if I were a student here, if not more. =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment