Wilson [indignant]: You can't control your emotions!I mean, it's cool and everything that Cameron is stricken by even harboring emotional attachment to another guy who is not her husband. I'm not convinced that this comes from a sense of conviction by God's Word, or as a result of saving faith in Jesus, but it's refreshing to see at least some portrayal of morality in a world that is so very enamoured with sin.
Cameron: Nope, just your actions.
What bothers me about this quote is the idea that emotions are like little aliens that are dwelling in your body that you have no control over. (Hana would say they are ptresbies =P). I hate the dismissive idea that "you can't control your emotions." Of course you can control your emotions! You control them by dwelling on Truth, and by rejecting thoughts that are sinful or that promote emotions that are not glorifying to God. Is it easy? NO! Is it enjoyable? NO! Should we still do it? YES!
It's so very subtle, but it's definitely one of the ways the world brainwashes us to think things that are not true. Paul says in Col 2:8:
"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."This is what is so hard to protect myself from sometimes! Because as I watch TV when I'm tired, it's hard to concentrate on rejecting unBiblical ideas that are insinuously inserted into the programme. Because rather than focus on emotions that are fickle and untrustworthy, Paul says in 1 Cor 10:5, "we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." Instead of being taken captive, we need to actively take captive our thoughts...and the emotions will follow.
Really, I'm preaching to myself, because
- I'm really bad at controlling my emotions,
- I find it incredibly discouraging to think that emotions, which can lead us so astray, are these uncontrollable entities, and
- I hate seeing people (me included!) justify their (wrong) actions by saying "well, I can't help how I feel!"
It's comforting to know that God is merciful...but I still wish I were better at this.
1 comment:
Cool. Glad to read that you're preaching to yourself.
By the way, we're House junkie here. I like medical mysteries.
Post a Comment